Similar in appearance to beavers, muskrats are actually much smaller. They live in and near freshwater, and they are named due to their musky smell. These small rodents, for the most part, are herbivores, so they have no reason to come inside homes. Everything they need to thrive exists outdoors near bodies of water. Critter Control of Columbus can begin the removal and prevention process if you notice signs of muskrat activity on your property. Call today or leave us information on your problem here!
GET RID OF MUSKRATS
- Habitat modifications can be employed to keep muskrat populations from encroaching on private property.
- Managing slopes and water levels helps discourage muskrats from burrowing into pond embankments, as does installing barriers and trimming overgrown aquatic vegetation.
- Erecting fences around gardens and other crops can effectively deter muskrats, as well.
- As semi-aquatic animals, muskrats usually have almost no reason to get inside human structures.
- Human and muskrat interactions only occur when homeowners have ponds or other water sources on their property.
- Though they primarily feed on aquatic vegetation, large muskrat groups sometimes venture into gardens to supplement their food sources.
- The majority of muskrat damage is done to their own ecosystems, because their feeding habits cause deterioration of available food sources for other species.
- Homeowners that plant gardens near muskrat habitats can experience loss of crops.
- Additionally, the animal's preference for building dens on the banks of waterways can damage existing dams.
- Muskrats will claw and bite both humans and pets in order to escape when they feel threatened, and they carry a variety of diseases and parasites, including ticks and lice.
Get Rid of Muskrats — For Good
As muskrats reproduce quickly and become aggressive when cornered, trapping and removing them without professional assistance can be both dangerous and time-consuming. Critter Control specialists have the knowledge, skills, and tools to remove infestations of muskrats humanely and efficiently.
We can help you get rid of muskrat problems. Call today.Request a Quote