Larger than roof rats and discernibly larger than house mice, Norway rats (also known as brown rats) are actually the most common type of rodent in America (and across the world). Although they're small, brown rats are still capable of great damage. Rats almost always are found wherever there is human activity because they survive off human byproducts like trash and food. Rats are trash fiends and thus are carriers of multiple diseases like salmonellosis or leptospirosis. Finding rats on your property and in your home can be scary and overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be! Give Critter Control of Columbus a call today or contact us here.
Getting Rid of Brown Rats
- These rodents are almost exclusively nocturnal, so if you see a brown rat in the daytime out in the open, it usually indicates numbers even greater than what you can see.
- A common DIY way to prevent rat problems in the first place is to keep your home tidy and clean so rats do not have a reason to stay.
- Regularly cleaning buildings, sweeping up crumbs, and mopping liquid spills all reduce the likelihood that your home will be attractive to the rodents.
- Making sure trash bins are secured with lids, sealing food in rodent-proof containers, removing clutter from basements and attics, sealing any holes in building foundations, and replacing broken window screens will help keep Norway rats away, as well.
Common Norway Rat Problems
- Signs of a Norway rat infestation include plentiful droppings, noises like frequent scratching or scampering, burrows near house foundations, and the dead rats.
- In addition to tainting their environments, Norway rats bite and scratch when they feel cornered.
- As talented diggers, Norway rats damage building foundations & sidewalks, and gnaw on a variety of objects, leaving behind unattractive teeth marks.
Keep Rats Out Permanently
Once infestations are established, property owners should act quickly to get rid of populations as Norway rats multiply quickly. Contacting pest control professionals ensures the rodents are eliminated in ways that are safe for both the animals and the people involved. Our extensively-trained rat technicians have the tools and knowledge to get rid of Norway/brown rats. We are just a phone call away.
We can help you get rid of brown rat problems. Call Critter Control of Columbus today or request an estimate below.Request a Quote