Although opossums are probably not the most destructive creatures that come across your yard, they have the potential to make a mess — especially when they enter your home. Opossums are the only marsupial found in North America. They are perhaps best known for "playing dead," a defense mechanism used to appear less appealing to predators. Opossums are nocturnal and omnivorous, taking advantage of any food source they come across. Contact Critter Control of Columbus today for a opossum inspection or contact us using our online form HERE.
As opossums carry various diseases and have sharp teeth and claws, individuals should never try to trap the animal without professional assistance. Critter Control wildlife removal specialists have the proper training, knowledge, and tools to capture and remove pest opossums from homes and businesses. Contacting trained technicians like keeps families and pets safe and disease-free.
There are a number of common opossum removal/prevention methods your technician will likely implement, including:
- Live trapping
- Wire fencing
There are some things you can do as a homeowner to decrease the likelihood of finding opossums on your property and in your home:
- Getting rid of debris piles
- Remove shrubs/grasses
- Keep domestic pet food inside
Common Opossum Problems
- Like most wild animals, opossums become aggressive when they are cornered. They will bite, scratch, bare their teeth, and hiss to escape.
- Opossums are notoriously aggressive and are also susceptible to the carrying deadly diseases, like tuberculosis, tularemia, and Chagas disease.
- Additionally, the marsupials can be infested with parasites such as fleas, ticks, mites, and lice.
Opossum Control and Safety
To keep opossums out of yards and homes, habitat modification efforts can be employed. Bring pet food in from the outdoors and secure trash can lids to limit food sources. Finally, building fences around gardens can restrict the pest's access to easy meals.
We can help you get rid of opossum problems. Call today.Request a Quote