Groundhogs are some of the largest members of the squirrel family. Groundhogs are adept climbers and swimmers. They can often be spotted in fields or along roadsides throughout the Eastern United States. If you are facing property damage due to groundhog behavior, contact Critter Control of Columbus to schedule a groundhog inspection today!
Keeping Groundhogs Out
The burrows that groundhogs make have multiple entrances and exits, traps should only be set by trained professionals. Although groundhogs do not actively attack humans, they may scratch or bite when cornered or threatened, and residents should never attempt to handle these animals. Critter Control of Columbus has experts who are trained to safely deal with nuisance groundhogs and are fully equipped to handle trapping, removal, and control operations within the confines of the law.
- Wire mesh fences can be used to effectively keep groundhogs away from gardens and lawns.
- Fences should be buried at least a foot underground and have outward-facing overhangs at the top to prevent the animals from burrowing underneath or climbing over.
- In some cases, it may be necessary to run the electric wire around the perimeter of fences.
Common Groundhog Problems
- Their limited range and herbivorous diet can lead groundhogs into yards and crop fields in search of vegetation.
- Groundhogs may dig burrows near houses, roads, and walls as they like to place the entrances to their dens at the base of solid objects.
- Home entry is not common but structural damage can result from groundhog burrows.
Full-Service Groundhog Removal
Groundhog attacks against humans are incredibly rare and if it does occur they must be treated as an indication of rabies. For the most part, groundhog damage is limited to properties like farms, orchards, gardens, and lawns. The rodents are responsible for significant losses of crops, such as soybeans, peas, carrots, lettuce, alfalfa, apples, and flowers. Farm equipment and livestock can also become damaged or injured by obscured burrow holes.
We can help you get rid of groundhog problems. Call Critter Control of Columbus today!
Request a Quote